- Breaking Down the Language Barrier: Translating English Proficiency Policy into Practice Video (CC) – A collaboration of the Departments of Agriculture, HHS, and Justice.
- Chart for Bilingual Interpreters – Sample notification list for providing information on staff and outside interpreter services. (PDF document)
- Civil Rights Clearance for Medicare Provider Certification – Technical assistance, forms, guidance, and educational materials and resources to assist Medicare Providers and Provider Applicants.
- Guidance and Information to Assist Providers of Health and Social Services Serving LEP Persons
- HIPAA Privacy Rule FAQ: Disclosure of Protected Health Information to an Interpreter
- Improving Patient-Provider Communication Video: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 – A collaboration between OCR and the Joint Commission to promote language access education.
- Sample Policy and Procedures for Effective Communication with LEP Persons
Other Federal Resources
- Addressing Heath Literacy, Cultural Competency, and LEP – A Unified Health Communication on-line training course to improve patient-provider communication. (the Health Resources and Services Administration)
- CMS Policy Guidance on Medicaid for LEP Persons
- Medicaid and CHIP Guidance on Increase Federal Matching Funds for Translation and Interpretation Services (the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services)
- Health Care Language Services Implementation Guide – An interactive web-based planning tool for implementing language access services (Office of Minority Health)
- LEP.gov – A clearinghouse for information, tools, and technical assistance on LEP Proficiency and language services for federal agencies, recipients of federal funds, users of federal programs and federally assisted programs, and other stakeholders. (the Federal Interagency Working Group on LEP)
- The Office of Minority Health National Standards on Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services – A site for examples of effective practices for health care providers and health care organizations to increase access to culturally and linguistically appropriate services.
Other Organizational Resources
External links to other sites are intended to be informational only and do not have the endorsement of HHS and OCR.
- Advancing Effective Communication, Cultural Competence, & Patient-and Family-Centered Care (A Joint Commission resource site)
- Data Collection and Use Disparities Toolkit – A web-based tool to collect race, ethnicity, and primary language data from patients. (The Health Research and Educational Trust)
- Medical Interpreters Training Program for Bilingual Hospital Staff – Information request form. (the New Jersey Hospital Association’s Health Research and Educational Trust)
- I Speak – Language Identification Guide. (A collaboration between the State of Ohio Office of Criminal Justice Services, the National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators, the Summit County Sheriff's Office, and the American Translators Association)
- Language Services Resource Guide for Health Care Providers – A publication for providing language services, developing language access plan, identifying language services, training programs, and assessment tools. (The National Health Law Program)
- Straight Talk: Model Hospital Policies and Procedures on Language Access – A publication of best practices on policies and procedures to address language access service issues. (The California Health Care Safety Net Institute)