Limited English Proficiency (LEP)
If English is not your primary language and you have difficulty communicating effectively in English, you may need an interpreter or document translation in order to have meaningful access to programs funded by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 requires recipients of Federal financial assistance to take reasonable steps to make their programs, services, and activities by eligible persons with limited English proficiency.
- Understand Discrimination on the Basis of Race, Color or National Origin
- Read about OCR’s LEP Enforcement Success Stories
- Federal, State, and Non-Governmental Resources
- HHS Language Plan (2013) – The plan established a strategy for ensuring meaningful access by individuals with LEP to HHS administered programs and activities in accordance with Executive Order 13166.
- OCR Blog Post: HHS Continues to Improve Access for LEP Individuals - 12/1/2015
- OCR Blog Post: ACA continues to break down barriers to health care for all Americans – 11/04/2016