HHS is committed to making its websites accessible to the widest possible audience, including individuals with disabilities. In keeping with its mission, HHS complies by implementing the regulations of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and the HHS Secretary's Section 508 Implementation Policy.
For Alternate Access to Web Information
HHS information is accessible via screen readers and other accessibility tools. Some information prior to 2001 may not be available in accessible formats.
- If you need assistance accessing any information on the HHS website, please submit an accessibility assistance request.
- If you need to convert PDF documents, Adobe® offers conversion tools in its Accessibly Resource Center.
Synopsis of Section 508 Accessibility Requirements
Section 508 requires federal agencies to make all electronic and information technology (EIT) accessible to individuals with disabilities unless it would create undue burden on the agency. The requirements of Section 508 apply to an agency's procurement of EIT, as well as the agency's development, maintenance, or use of EIT.
Although federal agencies are required to make all EIT Section 508 compliant, individuals may only file complaints or lawsuits to enforce Section 508's requirements for EIT systems purchased or deployed on or after June 21, 2001. Learn more at FAR Final Rule.
It should be noted, however, that federal agencies have additional responsibilities under Section 501 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. These Sections require that agencies:
- Provide reasonable accommodation to employees with disabilities
- Ensure members of the public with disabilities can access EIT
- Take other actions necessary to prevent discrimination on the basis of disability in their programs
To Learn More
- The Digital Communications Division 508 Program provides guidance on the implementation of Section 508 for the web and other Digital Communications at HHS.
- The U.S. Access Board's Section 508 Homepage provides information on Section 508 law, frequently asked questions, and standards.
- The Section 508 Homepage provides Section 508 tools, resources, standards, and news.