Guidelines and Best Practices
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides information about prevention of sexually transmitted infections, based upon five major strategies.
- Risk assessment and education to reduce the burden of STIs
- Vaccination for vaccine-preventable STIs
- Screening of patients who do not show symptoms to prevent passing the disease to others
- Effective diagnosis, care and treatment, with appropriate follow-up of infected patients
- Evaluation, care and treatment of a sexual partner who may have an STI
For further information about screening and treatment guidelines recommended by the CDC, please visit these resources:
- Information about CDC screening guidance for each STI:
- Information about CDC Treatment Guidelines for common STIs:
STD Treatment (Tx) Guide App
Download the CDC STD Treatment (Tx) Guide app, an easy-to-use reference that combines information from the STD Treatment Guidelines as well as MMWR updates, and features a streamlined interface so providers can access treatment and diagnostic information. The free app is available for Apple devices and Android devices.