How do I report a change of name or address to Medicare?

To change your official address with Medicare, you have to contact Social Security, even if you don’t get Social Security benefits. Here are three ways you can do this:

  1. Update your information in your my Social Security account using the My Profile Tab. (This is the fastest way to update your information)
  2. Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213. TTY users can call 1-800-325-0778.
  3. Visit your local Social Security office. (You can get the address and directions from the Social Security Office Locator.)

Note: If your name has legally changed, you’ll likely need to fill out an Application for a Social Security Card, which you can return to your local field office or complete online. You’ll also need to provide proof of your identity. If you have questions, contact Social Security.

Content created by Digital Communications Division (DCD)
Content last reviewed