How do I get a new Medicare card if my card is lost, stolen, or destroyed?

If your Medicare card was lost, stolen, or destroyed, you can ask for a replacement card from Social Security in three ways:

  1. Online by using your personal my Social Security account (note: you can do this even if you don't yet receive Social Security benefits). If you don’t already have a personal Social Security account, you can create one.

    Once you’re logged in, select the "Replace your Medicare card” link under the Medicare Enrollment Detail section. Then select “Mail my replacement Medicare Card.”

    Your Medicare card will arrive in the mail in about 30 days at the address on file with Social Security. When you request your replacement card, be sure to check your mailing address that’s in your personal Social Security account and make any necessary updates.
  2. By phone:
    • Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  3. In person:

You can also print an official copy of your card from your secure Medicare account or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048.

Content created by Digital Communications Division (DCD)
Content last reviewed