• Text Resize A A A
  • Print Print
  • Share Share on facebook Share on twitter Share

Are military spouses eligible to receive Veteran's Preference?

Military Spouse Appointing Authority (Executive Order 13473) allows agencies to appoint a military spouse without competition. Agencies can choose to use this authority when filling competitive service positions on a temporary (not to exceed 1 year), term (more than 1 year but not more than 4 years), or permanent basis. The authority does not entitle spouses to an appointment over any other applicant. As a military spouse you are eligible under this authority if your active duty military spouse: 1) receives a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move; 2) has a 100% disability rating; or 3) died while on active duty. Each of these categories has different eligibility criteria that must be met. For additional information, you can visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/shams/, or send an email to Recruiter@hhs.gov with Military Spouses Inquiry in the subject line.

Content created by Office of Human Resources (OHR)
Content last reviewed on August 13, 2015