How to Apply
To apply for Head Start and Early Head Start, you can contact the program closest to where you live. Your local program will provide the required forms and answer your questions. They will also tell you what documents you should bring with you to apply.
To find a Head Start or Early Head Start program near you:
- Use the Head Start Center Locator
- Call 1-866-763-6481 (toll-free) from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. ET, Monday-Friday
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Is my family eligible for Head Start?
Head Start and Early Head Start services are available to pregnant women and children ages 0-5 and their families.
The local program staff in your area will tell you if you qualify. Your family may qualify for Head Start or Early Head Start services if your family's income is at or below the federal poverty level.
Programs may enroll some children from families whose incomes are higher than the federal poverty level if they meet other requirements. Other circumstances that may qualify your child for services:
- You are experiencing homelessness.
- You have children in foster care.
- You are receiving TANF or SSI.
The local program in your community will have more information and guidance.