Title VI regulations define the term “Federal financial assistance” broadly to include:
- grants and loans of Federal funds,
- the grant or donation of Federal property and interests in property,
- the detail of Federal personnel,
- the sale and lease of, and permission to use Federal property or interest in such property without consideration or at a nominal consideration, and
- any Federal agreement, arrangement, or other contract which has as one of its purposes the provision of assistance. 45 C.F.R. § 80.13(f).
Thus, “Federal financial assistance” means assistance in the form of any grant, loan, or contract (other than a contract of insurance or guaranty). See 42 U.S.C. § 2000d-4. This includes use of equipment, donations of surplus property, and other forms of assistance.