TO: OpDiv Chief Information Officers & StaffDiv IT Representatives
FROM: Perryn B. Ashmore, Chief Information Officer
SUBJECT: Complete Transition to IPv6
DATE: April 29, 2021
In accordance with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Memorandum 21-07 (M-21-07), dated November 19, 2020, by Fiscal Year (FY) 2023, all new HHS information systems must be Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) enabled at the time of deployment. It is also the strategic intent of HHS to phase out the use of IPv4 for all current HHS systems as soon as practical by meeting the milestones laid out by M-21-07, to include at least 80% of IP-enabled assets on HHS networks operating in IPv6-only environments by the end of FY 2025.
This memorandum designates Nikolaos Ipiotis as the lead of the IPv6 Integrated Project Team (IPT) and Christos Skeadas as the Executive Sponsor to coordinate these actions. The IPT is responsible for developing and overseeing the overall IPv6 transition plan which shall be inclusive of strategies, acquisitions, processes, status, and milestones. Additionally, system owners shall ensure system documentation details plans for transitioning to IPv6 and that these plans align with the Department's overall IPv6 Implementation Plan.
In support of this mandate, the IPT will work with your designated OpDiv and StaffDiv representatives in the following activities:
- Provide strategies, processes, status, and milestones for inclusion in the Department's overall IPv6 implementation plan;
- Collaborate with Department to identify opportunities for IPv6 pilots on operational systems and nominate them to the IPT;
- Oversee implementation of the Department's IPv6 implementation plan;
- Work with the Enterprise Architecture community to ensure that processes for approving new systems for operation, or upgrading existing systems, include a review of the system's IPv6 readiness to ensure consistency with the Department's overall IPv6 Implementation Plan; and,
- Work with the Acquisition community to ensure processes are in place requiring all new department acquisitions are capable of operating in an IPv6-only environment by the milestones established in the Department's implementation plan.
In the coming weeks, an all-inclusive policy document will be issued. This Policy will provide the requirements to which the Department and its Operating Divisions (OpDivs) and Staff Divisions (StaffDivs) must adhere when implementing requirements in accordance with OMB M-21-07. Migrating to an IPv6-only environment will enable HHS to align itself with the Federal government's strategic intent to deliver its information services, operate its networks, and access the services of others using only IPv6 capabilities.
For questions regarding this memorandum, please contact Nikolaos Ipiotis or Christos Skeadas.