can transform our whole health and well-being.
Advisory: The Healing Effects of Social Connection
Connection plays a critical role in individual, community, and societal health. This advisory calls attention to that role and offers a framework for how we can all contribute to improving social connection.
Take The Surgeon General’s 5-for-5 Connection Challenge
U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy is challenging YOU to take the “5-for-5 Connection Challenge” as a way to build and strengthen your own relationships and inspire others to incorporate connection in their daily lives!Learn how to get involved
People with strong perceptions of community belongingness are 2.6 times more likely to report good or excellent health than people with a low sense of belongingness.1
How Can We Take Action Together?
How do we put this important information to practical use in our society? The Surgeon General has created a Framework for a National Strategy to Advance Social Connection. This details the critical and actionable next steps that individuals, communities, organizations, and governments can take to foster social connection.
Spread the word with these shareable tools
- U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy addresses our nation's loneliness & isolation crisis and the healing effects of social connection.Watch video
- This graphic explains relationship factors that contribute to an individual’s social connection.Download [PDF, 4.1 MB]
- This document includes information about the National Strategy to Advance Social Connection and recommendations for key stakeholders to foster greater social connection.Download [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- This graphic communicates the three pathways through which social connection has an impact on overall health.Download [PDF, 4.6 MB]
- This graphic shows national trends in social isolation and social connection behaviors from 2003 to 2020.Download [PDF, 3.7 MB]
- This graphic communicates the Surgeon General’s Framework for a National Strategy to Advance Social Connection.Download [PDF, 3.3 MB]
- This graphic communicates the factors—from individual to societal—that play a role in shaping social connection.Download [PDF, 11 MB]
- This slide includes the key takeaways from the advisory.Download [PDF, 6.8 MB]
- This document includes the key takeaways from the advisory.Download [PDF, 4.9 MB]
- This one-page document includes information and recommendations for an individual to foster greater social connection in their life.Download [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- This one-page document includes information and recommendations for educators and administrators to foster greater social connection in schools.Download [PDF, 6 MB]
- This one-page document includes information and recommendations for parents and caregivers to foster greater social connection in their children’s lives.Download [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- This PDF includes 12 social connection fact cards that highlight the negative impact that social isolation and loneliness has on individual and community level health and well-being.Download [PDF, 2.8 MB]