Accelerating innovation in tick-borne disease prevention, diagnostics, and patient outcomes via next-gen technologies and data-driven, interdisciplinary collaborations
The HHS Lyme Innovation initiative is a patient-centered, data-driven approach to the serious threat of Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses. Lyme disease affects more than 300,000 people in the U.S. each year, and that number is growing. So is the geographic spread of the disease, which accounts for more than 70% of all vector-borne illnesses in our country. Lyme and other tick-borne conditions cost the U.S. economy billions of dollars annually.
HHS's Lyme Innovation initiative sees patients as more than the targets for new prevention, diagnostic, and treatment tools and techniques to address Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses. Patients are the driving forces of innovation, and their lived experience is our roadmap.
Lyme Innovation uses strategic public-private partnerships to accelerate patient-centered advancements in how we address Lyme and other tick-borne diseases. By supporting interdisciplinary collaborations that reflect the initiative's core values, Lyme Innovation will:
- Build commitment to data-driven, patient-centered innovations that improve outcomes.
- Identify ways to better collect and share data while raising awareness of tick-borne illnesses.
- Accelerate discovery of next-gen diagnostic tools and technologies.
- Lower barriers across all phases of development, testing, and implementation.
- RESPECT: Everyone is valued.
- INNOVATION: Shifting paradigms. Finding a better way.
- HONESTY/INTEGRITY: Find the truth. Tell the truth.
- EXCELLENCE: Quality, real-world evidence underlies decision-making.
- COMPASSION: Finding solutions to relieve suffering.
- COLLABORATION: Citizens and patients are equal partners.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: The buck stops here.
- Create a sense of urgency.
- Attract new leaders to the field.
- Leverage resources from all sectors.
- Attract and unlock external funding and private capital.
- Increase collaboration and stakeholder engagement.
- Improve the customer experience.
- De-risk and expedite commercialization.
Engage Stakeholders to Facilitate Patient-Centered Innovations
- Build trust among stakeholders through listening sessions, roundtables, and other learning approaches that ground innovations in lived experience
- Engage stakeholders in identifying current areas of need to promote targeted innovations that will make real-world improvements in quality of care
- Gain insights into patient needs and priorities through stakeholders' collective wisdom, and apply that wisdom in shaping future innovation challenges and events
Advance Education and Awareness
- Crowdsource innovative ideas for raising awareness about risks and prevention
- Amplify and improve access to essential information supporting innovations in prevention, education, and care with open data/science
- Foster the development of new, community-based education and prevention efforts through prize challenges and calls to action
Foster Breakthroughs in Next-Gen Diagnostics
- Promote innovation through a series of prize challenges that encourage application of cutting-edge technology and user-centered design to advance diagnostic tests and tools
- Increase accuracy of diagnostics at all stages of Lyme disease by accelerating delivery of actionable information to healthcare providers, entrepreneurs, and patients
- Incentivize and reduce risk for development to get new, more accurate diagnostics from lab to market
Ways to Get Involved
Join us in driving the Lyme Innovation initiative forward! Check back soon to find out how.
Blog Posts and Ways to Learn More
For up-to-date information, statistics, and guidance on Lyme disease and related illnesses, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Lyme Disease website. You can also check out these HHS blog posts and materials:
- The Lyme Innovation "TOP Health" Teams in 2020 (January 22, 2020)
- The Power of Lyme Innovation: One Year of Progress (October 21, 2019)
- Lyme Innovation Roundtable Summary Report (May 2019)
- Lyme Innovation Roundtable Highlights and Next Steps (April 15, 2019)
- Deep Dive on "TOP Health": Data + Technology + Innovation for Lyme disease (March 19, 2019)
- "TOP Health" Tech Sprint Unleashes the Power of Open Data and AI (January 17, 2019)
- Lyme Innovation Roundtable (December 19, 2018)
- The HHS Office of the CTO Announces a "Lyme Innovation" Initiative (November 20, 2018)