The Transatlantic Taskforce on Antimicrobial Resistance (TATFAR) addresses some of the most urgent actions needed to slow antimicrobial resistance (AMR): 1) appropriate use of antimicrobial drugs in medical and veterinary communities, (2) prevention of healthcare and community-associated drug-resistant infections, and (3) strategies for improving the pipeline of new antimicrobial drugs. TATFAR was originally established in 2009 as a partnership between the U.S. and the European Union (EU), one result of the U.S.-EU Summit, and expanded in 2015 to include Canada and Norway.
TATFAR leverages the knowledge and experience of some of the foremost AMR experts on both sides of the Atlantic. It is uniquely positioned to provide policymakers with evidence-based recommendations for measures that could extend the lifespan of routine antibiotics, including coordinated stewardship programs, improved diagnostics, and global surveillance systems for animal and human health.
Since 2009, TATFAR has:
- Finalized standardized evaluation measures for hospital stewardship programs.
- Created a universal roadmap for developing comparable stewardship programs and data.
- In partnership with several public health organizations, increased public awareness of proper antibiotic use through Antibiotic Awareness Day (November 18).
- Released its Progress Report, assessing implementation of all Taskforce recommendations since 2011, identifying road blocks, and highlighting new areas for collaboration.
- Successfully completed two implementation phases.
In October 2015, TATFAR held its biennial meeting to map out what will be its third implementation phase, to span five years and focus on leveraging its new partnership with Canada and Norway to expand the breadth and depth of its work. In his role as co-chair, Former Assistant Secretary Jimmy Kolker (2011-2017) delivered a keynote address on TATFAR’s accomplishments to date, its strengths, and what is expected of the taskforce in the coming implementation phase.
Links and Resources
- The Transatlantic Taskforce for Antimicrobial Resistance Secretariat
- Presentations from the 2015 Meeting of the Transatlantic Taskforce on Antimicrobial Resistance