Protecting Life in Global Health Policy (PLGHP)
21 Nations Present Joint Statement at 74th UN General Assembly
On Monday September 23 2019, before the opening of the high level meeting on Universal Health Coverage (UHC), Secretary Alex Azar gathered with representatives from four of the six World Health Organization global regions to introduce and read the initial version of joint statement on behalf of 19 countries representing more than 1.3 billion people. The statement called on the UN and its agencies to focus on efforts that enjoy broad consensus and accelerate progress to health rather than on issues that undermine the critical role of the family or that promote practices and programs that do not enjoy International consensus. Before the conclusion of the UHC high level meeting, two more countries joined the statement, bringing the total to 21 nations.
President Trump defends human life and warns UN to stay within their mandate during 2019 UN General Assembly Speech September 24, stating:
"Americans will never tire of defending innocent life. We are aware that many United Nations projects have attempted to assert a global right to taxpayer funded abortion on demand, right up until the moment of delivery. Global bureaucrats have absolutely no business attacking the sovereignty of nations that wish to protect innocent life. Like many nations here today, we in America believe that every child, born and unborn, is a sacred gift from God."
The 2019 Joint Statement on Universal Health Coverage is designed to inform and amplify health priorities and future health care discussions.
Additional information related to the Joint Statements and Joint Letter:
- Joint Statement on the Nairobi Summit on the ICPD25 (November 14, 2019)
- U.S. Commitment Statement to the Nairobi Summit on ICPD25 (November 13, 2019)
- Universal Health Coverage (UHC) Explanation of Position as Delivered by Courtney Nemroff (October 10, 2010)
- U.S. Government Statement read by Secretary Azar at the during the U.N. General Assembly High Level Meeting on Universal Health Coverage (September 23, 2019)
- July 2019 Joint Letter from Secretaries Azar and Pompeo on International Partnerships
- May 2019 Joint Statement on Women's, Adolescent, and Children's Health, made at the 72nd World Health Assembly in Geneva, Switzerland