The Office of Global Affairs (OGA) is the diplomatic voice of the Department of Health and Human Services. OGA fosters critical global relationships, coordinates international engagement across HHS and the U.S. government, and provides leadership and expertise in global health diplomacy and policy to contribute to a safer, healthier world.
OGA has several different teams organized by function or regional focus. Interns will be assigned to one of these teams; Trade and Health, the President’s Emergency Plan For AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), Agency Liaison, Africa, the Americas, Asia and the Pacific, Europe and Eurasia, Middle East and North Africa, Multilateral Relations, and Pandemic and Emerging Threats/Global Health Security Agenda.
As an OGA intern, you can expect to work on substantive projects, develop professional skills, and benefit from the personal attention of a mentor.
Purpose of Internship Program
The primary purpose of the OGA internship program is to give students an opportunity to learn about HHS’s global programs, policies, and practices first-hand. Interns will strengthen their skills and knowledge related to global health and social policy.
All Interns must:
- Be at least 18 years of age on or before the first day of the internship.
- Have completed at least two semesters of college education.
- Be a current undergraduate or graduate student enrolled a college or university in the United States at least half-time for the duration of the internship, or be between academic programs with an interim of no more than 5 months.
- Be able to provide a copy of their transcript or other proof of enrollment.
Internships require at least two days per week with a one month minimum time commitment. Preference may be given to those who can devote greater time to the internship. We have found that interns have a better experience if attendance is at least 4 days a week. This gives interns the opportunity to experience the wide range of activities that involve OGA. However, we recognize that each intern has different requirements for success.
How to Apply
To apply, please email OGA at email@example.com with the following information:
- The subject line for your email should be “Internship application for [team].”
- Include in the body of the email:
- Your Name
- Contact information, including email and phone
- Current school/program
- Proposed start date, availability (schedule) and length of internship
- Attach your resume, cover letter expressing your objectives for the internship and proof of enrollment (copy of transcript).
If you do not know which team you would like to apply for, or if you’re interested in multiple teams, please state this in the body of your email and put only “internship application” as the subject.
Interns will be selected based on their application and demonstrated interest in global health. This may include:
- Academic excellence;
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of global health issues;
- Personal maturity;
- Previous work experience and skills;
- The anticipated benefits for the candidate.