Supplementary A Research
U.S. Exchange Visitor Program: Request for Waiver of the Two-Year Foreign Residence Requirement
All applications must contain a signature and phone number from the institution's immigration officer. Transmittal packages from legal counsel should contain no paraphrasing of applicant's submission or exhibits.
Detailed information must be provided for each of the following items in the order in which they are listed.
- Describe in detail the program or activity in which the exchange visitor is engaged, including factual evidence of the way in which the program or activity serves the national or international public interest.
- Show evidence of the exchange visitor's essentiality to the program, and specific information describing the exchange visitor's role and unique capabilities to contribute to the program over a long period of time.
- Include information about the current personnel engaged in the program and how the exchange visitor's expertise is related to those individuals.
- Show evidence of at least two means of recruitment dated no older than 18 months from the dates the waiver application is submitted that indicates the applying institution made genuine efforts to recruit for the exchange visitor's position and was unable to find a suitable candidate.
- Clearly demonstrate that a suitable replacement for the exchange visitor cannot be found through recruitment or any other means, and the position cannot be filled by any individual who is not subject to the foreign residence requirement.
- Provide copies of recruitment advertisements, placed in nationally circulated journals, or online career/job boards associated with a nationally circulated journal, or on USAJOBS, with specific information provided as to the results (including why the candidates were not qualified). Salary level should be advertised showing a range at a fair market rate.
- Include additional information such as placement on organizations website, Internet recruitment and letters to colleagues in the field.
- Describe the probable future of the program if the waiver is not granted, including specific evidence showing how the loss of the exchange visitor's services would seriously restrain the initiation, continuation, completion, or success of the program or activity, or a major part thereof.
- Explain how the applicant institution's long-range plans for the exchange visitor, and ways in which the visitor will contribute in the future to the activities in which he or she is employed.
- Provide information concerning the exchange visitor's qualifications, including evidence of special accomplishments and external letters of recommendation.
- Include the exchange visitor's curriculum vitae, bibliography and copies of abstracts for the J-1's most recent relevant publications, copies of all Forms IAP-66 and/or DS-2019 and current visa status materials. Please do not include copies of any presentations.
- Provide any other facts considered germane.
For questions regarding Supplementary Information A, Research, contact Jessica Stewart, (202) 260-1647.