President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) Office
Director, PEPFAR Office
Office of Global Affairs
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
Phone: (202) 690-6174, (202)-260-0399
The OGA/PEPFAR Office works with HHS and U.S. Government (USG) agencies implementing PEPFAR to ensure the USG is leveraging HHS’s scientific and technical expertise to accelerate HIV epidemic control and achieve an AIDS-free generation. OGA/PEPFAR provides critical policy and management support to HHS agencies and ensures that PEPFAR funds are disbursed and tracked in an efficient and transparent manner.
HHS supports PEPFAR implementation and research activities through five operating divisions:
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provide support to more than 60 countries to strengthen their national HIV/AIDS programs and build sustainable health systems, with a focus on expanding access to quality care and treatment, implementing proven prevention programs, strengthening the healthcare workforce, and using data to inform public health policy and strategies.
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) supports the PEPFAR program by increasing the availability of high-quality drugs and enhancing cost efficiency through the tentative approval process.
- The Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) builds technical, programmatic, and management capacity of partner health systems and service providers; and advances the PEPFAR Human Resources for Health Strategy, including previously through the Medical Education Partnership Initiative (MEPI).
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has built, in collaboration with HRSA, the capacity of African medical education institutions through MEPI. NIH currently supports an HIV/AIDS implementation science portfolio and critically important combination HIV prevention trials. Although not supported by PEPFAR, a number of NIH-funded research studies have been instrumental to PEPFAR implementation and the global HIV/AIDS response, including the START study and HPTN 052.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) provides training and technical assistance on the link between substance abuse and HIV prevention, care, and treatment.
Learn More About PEPFAR
OGA at the 21st AIDS Conference (AIDS2016)
The U.S. PEPFAR website
Implementing PEPFAR: The website of the Office of the U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator
PEPFAR in Mozambique: How HHS-provided treatment is making a difference