About the Ignite Accelerator
The HHS Ignite Accelerator is an internal innovation startup program for staff within the Department that want to improve the way their program, office, or agency works.
Launched in 2013, the Ignite Accelerator has empowered hundreds of federal employees to explore, test, and validate their ideas to modernize government and improve the Department's ability to carry out its mission. The program does this by providing selected teams training, methodological coaching, leadership cover, and space to experiment within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial framework.
Core Principles of Ignite
- Talk with your customers. Like a lot.
- Fall in love with your problem, not your solution
- Scope down. Make your project smaller.
- Start low/no tech.
- Design through tiny iterations.
- Strive for the smallest, simplest solution possible.
Key Elements of Ignite
- Training in modern problem-solving approaches like Human-Centered Design and Lean startup
- Individualized coaching and mentorship over a three-month design sprint
- Permission and structure to experiment
- Connection to a community of innovators at HHS
- Access to HHS leadership
- Presentation to leadership and a large public audience at HHS Innovation Day
Learn more about Ignite
Ignite is recognized as a model for empowering creative public sector innovators and has inspired similar programs across the federal government. Learn more about the program through the following publications: