You may qualify for free or low-cost health care through Medicaid based on your income and family size. Eligibility rules differ among states.
In all states, Medicaid gives health coverage to some individuals and families, including children, parents, people who are pregnant, elderly people with certain incomes, and people with disabilities. Some states have expanded their Medicaid programs to cover other adults below a certain income level.
There are two ways you can apply for Medicaid:
- Directly with your state.
- Through the Health Insurance Marketplace®.
- Visit HealthCare.gov to create a Marketplace account and complete an application.
- Reply “yes” when asked if you’d like to see if you can get help paying for coverage.
- If the information on your application shows that someone in your household might qualify for Medicaid, the Marketplace will forward your application to your state for a final eligibility decision.
- You can also call the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596 to apply. TTY users can call 1-855-889-4325.