I am not satisfied with how my child support case is being handled. What do I do?

The Child Support Enforcement (CSE) Program is run by states and counties and they are the best source of information about your case. If you are working with the agency, but are not getting support payments, contact the state CSE agency and ask them what more can be done. The state should be able to pull up the case and may have suggestions about other things to try. State CSE agency telephone numbers and addresses are at: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/css/resource/state-and-tribal-child-support-agency-contacts

Many state and tribal websites provide a link for asking questions. Most of them list the telephone numbers and addresses of the local CSE offices as well. In difficult cases you might write the state and Federal regional offices. If you write, include identifying information - such as both parents' names, case numbers, social security numbers - and ask them to review the case.

Some cases are very difficult to enforce. If the other parent is able to work for cash, to hide income or assets, to move often, for example, the CSE agency may not be able to enforce the order. In these cases, provide as much information as you can. Tell the caseworker everything you can about where he or she lives and works and anything else that might help the caseworker to help you and your family. If you are not working with the CSE agency and would like to apply for services, you can ask your state or local CSE office how you can apply. Telephone numbers and addresses of your local office can be found on most state Web sites.

Content created by Digital Communications Division (DCD)
Content last reviewed