Choose the right tool
Your office’s presence on any social media platform should be part of a broader communications strategy. It should enhance your efforts to meet your organizational mission and specific objectives.
- Take a copy of these Social Media Considerations: Questions to ask before jumping in (PDF – 106KB) to your planning meeting.
- View the list of tools/providers that offer federal-compatible terms of service.
Approval and Set Up
In order to maximize the success of your efforts, your office should:
- Create a Management Plan and incorporate it into an existing communications plan that identifies a target audience and specific objectives, activities, and necessary resources allocated.
- Use this outlineWhat’s In a Plan (PDF – 69KB) as a guide for creating your management plan.
- Review theHHS Standards and Policies Checklist (PDF – 89KB) to make sure you meet all requirements.
- Be prepared for the tough issues and learnWhen and How to Engage over Social Media Platforms (PDF - 60KB).
- Obtain approval from your Office/Agency’s program management and the appropriate communications office.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to have your Page added to the Directory of HHS social media accounts. The HHS Digital Communication Division team may be able to provide recommendations on your plan, assist with promoting your effort, and also provide suggestions on collaboration opportunities with other Offices/Agencies in the department.
Best Practices for Government Accounts on Popular Tools
Who else in HHS is using this platform?
Visit the HHS Directory of Social Media Accounts to find out how programs across HHS are using different social media tools.
Great Information! But I still need one-on-one consultation
Technical and strategic training and brainstorming are available from the Digital Communication Division. Contact email@example.com for more information.
There are a number of government groups available as well, including the Federal Social Media Community of Practice, HHS Yammer, and the HHS Digital Commuicaiton ListServ (open only to individuals with an email address from the HHS family of agencies).
Content last reviewed on July 31, 2015