Budget & Performance
The Secretary Presents the FY 2016 Budget
HHS is the principal Federal department charged with protecting the health of all Americans and providing essential human services. The Budget prioritizes core services and programs and makes targeted investments in training and support of health care providers, innovative biomedical research, food and drug safety, mental health services, health care for American Indians and Alaska natives, early childhood programs, and services for other vulnerable populations.
Watch Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell speak about the HHS Fiscal Year 2016 Budget.
Secretary Burwell states, “I believe firmly that the President’s budget shows what we can accomplish together, if we invest in our nation’s future and commit to building an economy that rewards hard work.” Read the full remarks.
The Budget in Brief provides an overview of the HHS budget and how the budget supports the major initiatives of the Department.
Digital Version: HHS Budget in Brief
Print version: HHS Budget in Brief (PDF - 158 pages)
Highlights of the President’s HHS FY 2016 Budget
Read our Budget Highlights to learn about funding highlights, reforms, and our major goals for serving the nation.
Budget Justifications to Congress
Office of the Secretary Staff Divisions:
Links to HHS Office of the Secretary Staff Division budget requests are listed below.
- General Department Management (PDF - 350 pages)
- Departmental Management Overview (PDF -10 pages)
- General Departmental Management (PDF – 173 pages)
- Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (PDF – 64 pages)
- Office of Medicare Hearings and Appeals (PDF – 32 pages)
- Office of Civil Rights Budget Justification (PDF - 37 pages)
- Nonrecurring Expenses Fund (PDF - 2 pages)
- Health Insurance and Implementation Fund (PDF - 2 pages)
- Retirement Pay & Medical Benefits for Commissioned Officers Budget Justification (PDF - 3 pages)
- HHS General Provisions (PDF – 19 pages)
- Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund (PDF - 126 pages)
- Office of the Inspector General (PDF – 70 pages)
Operating Divisions Budget Requests:
- Administration for Children & Families (ACF)
- Administration for Community Living (ACL)
- Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality (AHRQ)
- Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registry (ATSDR)
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- Indian Health Services (IHS)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Persons using assistive technology may not be able to fully access information some of these files. For assistance, contact the Operating Division or the HHS Office of Budget 202.690.7393.
Contingency Staffing Plan
Review the HHS contigency plans for agency operations in the absence of appropriations which would lead to furloughing 51% of HHS employees, and retaining 49%.
HHS Performance Information
This report presents performance and financial information on the Department’s eleven Operating Divisions and sixteen Staff Divisions. The next section highlights progress made toward achieving each of the four HHS Strategic Goals. This document ends with a discussion on some of the financial information and management challenges HHS faces.
Print version (PDF – 13 pages)
Release Date: February 17, 2015
This report sets forth the Annual Performance Plan for HHS, including specific performance goals for HHS programs and priorities, the level of performance to be achieved FY 2015 and FY 2016, and analysis of actual performance from FY 2011 through FY 2014.
Print version (PDF – 179 pages)
Release Date: February 2, 2015
FY 2015 HHS Agency Financial Report
View previous financial reports.
Offices to Contact
HHS Budget – Previous Years
- FY 2015 Budget
- FY 2014 Budget
- FY 2013 Budget
- FY 2012 Budget
- FY 2011 Budget
- FY 2010 Budget
- FY 2009 Budget
- HHS Budget Archive
Content last reviewed on November 16, 2015