Office of the General Counsel (OGC)
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) is supported by several sub-divisions:
- Headquarters Divisions
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
- Children, Families, & Aging
- Civil Rights
- Food & Drug
- General Law
- Public Health
- Special Assistant to the General Counsel
- Senior Advisor to the General Counsel
- Deputy General Counsel (5)
- Chief Operating Officer, Office of Legal Resources
- Regional Offices
- Chief Counsel, Region I
- Chief Counsel, Region II
- Chief Counsel, Region III
- Chief Counsel, Region IV
- Chief Counsel, Region V
- Chief Counsel, Region VI
- Chief Counsel, Region VII
- Chief Counsel, Region VIII
- Chief Counsel, Region IX
- Chief Counsel, Region X
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) is the legal team for the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), providing quality representation and legal advice on a wide range of highly visible national issues. OGC supports the development and implementation of the Department's programs by providing the highest quality legal services to the Secretary of HHS and the organization's various agencies and divisions.
A team of over 400 attorneys and a comprehensive support staff, OGC is one of the largest and most diverse and talented law offices in the country. Many OGC lawyers are heavily involved in administrative and Federal court litigation. In collaboration with the Department of Justice, OGC attorneys may have primary responsibility for complex district court and appellate litigation, trying cases and arguing appeals in the initial years of service. The OGC team also reviews proposed regulations and legislation affecting significant issues of health and human services.
To learn more about the HHS Office of General Counsel visit these pages:
- Learn about the OGC mission and topical areas of service.
- Find information about the OGC Organization and where we are located.
- We provide information about the leadership in OGC.
- Find information about working at OGC, including practice areas, current openings, how to apply, and the benefits of a career with HHS.
- Available in this section is the OGC mailing address and contact information about Departmental ethics officers.
Content last reviewed on July 7, 2014