At-risk people or people with special needs may need specific assistance in an emergency. This can be medical care, transportation, maintaining independence for daily living, supervision, or communication.
Persons with special needs or who are at risk in an emergency include:
- Elderly persons
- Persons from diverse cultural origins
- Individuals with disabilities
- Individuals with limited English proficiency
- Persons who live in institutionalized settings
- Persons who do not have access to transportation
These people may be protected under the law from discrimination in certain emergency situations.
HHS Office for Preparedness & Response
Emergency Preparedness Resources
HIPAA & Emergency Preparedness
- Learn how the HIPAA Privacy Rule applies to the release of protected health information for planning or response