Limited English Proficiency (LEP)
If English is not your primary language and you have difficulty communicating effectively in English, you may need an interpreter or document translation in order to have meaningful access to programs funded by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 requires recipients of Federal financial assistance to take reasonable steps to make their programs, services, and activities by eligible persons with limited English proficiency.
- Understand Discrimination on the Basis of Race, Color or National Origin
- Fact Sheet about Title VI Discrimination [PDF|251KB, 2013]
- Read about OCR’s LEP Enforcement Success Stories
- Federal, State, and Non-Governmental Resources
- Blog Post: HHS Continues to Improve Access for LEP Individuals - 12/1/2015