CMS ICD-10 Resources
Guidance for CMS ICD-10 Resources for providers.
Issued by: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
Issue Date: August 07, 2020
Resources for Providers
- ICD-10 Quick Start Guide (PDF)
- Provider ICD-10 Resource Guide and Contact List (PDF)
- Infographics: Next Steps (PDF), Use ICD-10 Now (PDF)and ICD-10 (PDF)Billing Success (PDF).
- Role of Clearinghouses (PDF)
Clinical Concepts Series
Guides include common ICD-10 codes, clinical documentation tips, clinical scenarios, and links to Road to 10 by specialty:
- Family Practice (PDF)
- Internal Medicine (PDF)
- Cardiology (PDF)
- OB/GYN (PDF)
- Orthopedics (PDF)
- Pediatrics (PDF)
ICD-10 Basics (Videos)
Resources for Payers and Vendors
These resources will introduce you to ICD-10, explain why it is necessary, and give you the information you will need to use ICD-10:
- The ICD-10 Transition: An Introduction (PDF)
- ICD-10 Basics for Payers (PDF)
- Talking to Your Customers About ICD-10: Tips for Software Vendors (PDF)
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services does not provide specific coding guidance. However, listed below are several resources that may be able to assist you:
- The ICD-10 code lookup tool: /medicare-coverage-database/staticpages/icd-10-code-lookup.aspx
- Health Care Code Sets: ICD-10 (Fact Sheet)
- Web-Based Training (Diagnosis & Procedure Coding)
- For specific coding questions: Specific coding questions should be submitted to the American Hospital Association (the official US clearinghouse on medical coding) via http://www.codingclinicadvisor.com/
- AHIMA is now also providing coding advice for a fee through their Code Check service. You can learn more information at this link: http://www.ahima.org/topics/codecheck
Updated ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS codes sets may be obtained free of charge using the Navigation links on this page.
ICD-10-CM Guidelines, may be found at the following website:
For questions about Claims Processing and Payment or Local Coverage Determinations, please contact your Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) for guidance. You can find the list of MACs at this link: /Medicare/Coding/ICD10/ICD-10-Provider-Contact-Table.pdf (PDF)
For questions about National Coverage Determinations: /Medicare/Coverage/InfoExchange/contactus
For requests to update the ICD-10-PCS procedure codes, please note CMS only accepts ICD-10-PCS procedure code requests submitted via the Medicare Electronic Application Request Information System™ (MEARIS™). The ICD-10-PCS code request application can be accessed at: https://mearis.cms.gov. For guidance regarding the request submission process, please refer to the “Resources” section at: https://mearis.cms.gov/public/resources.
For requests to update the ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes, please note that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is responsible for the development and maintenance of ICD-10-CM. Please send your ICD-10-CM questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact your Regional Office if you have additional questions: /Medicare/Coding/ICD10/CMS-Regional-Offices
HHS is committed to making its websites and documents accessible to the widest possible audience, including individuals with disabilities. We are in the process of retroactively making some documents accessible. If you need assistance accessing an accessible version of this document, please reach out to the email@example.com.
DISCLAIMER: The contents of this database lack the force and effect of law, except as authorized by law (including Medicare Advantage Rate Announcements and Advance Notices) or as specifically incorporated into a contract. The Department may not cite, use, or rely on any guidance that is not posted on the guidance repository, except to establish historical facts.