Skip Navigation

What can I do If my civil rights have been violated?


Contact the  Office of Civil Rights (OCR) Regional Office that serves your state. Describe your situation in writing to the OCR regional staff and they will advise you and if necessary assist you in filing a civil rights complaint with the office or by referring you to the appropriate agency.  If OCR has the authority, they will investigate the complaint and issue a Letter of Findings to you and the alleged discriminating party. If the alleged discriminating health or human service agency has violated your civil rights, OCR will seek an appropriate remedy in an attempt to rectify the discrimination.

OCR is a civil rights office within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. As such, our jurisdiction is generally limited to complaints of discrimination filed against providers of health and social services who receive Federal financial assistance from HHS.  The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) usually handles complaints against law enforcement agencies. 

For information on how to contact OCR, you may want to visit:

Last Updated: 11/4/2009