Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) & Resources
Title II and III of the E-Government Act of 2002 requires that agencies assess the impact on privacy for systems that collect personally identifiable information (PII). The tool by which agencies perform this assessment is a privacy impact assessment (PIA). In addition to performing this assessment, agencies are required to make the PIA publicly available. All HHS PIAs are available via the HHS Privacy Impact Assessment Web site.
- E-Government Act of 2002 (U.S. Office of Management and Budget)
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
- Children’s Online Protection Act (Federal Trade Commission)
- The Privacy Act of 1974 (United States Department of Justice)
- HHS Privacy Committee (Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation)