Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Health and Wellness
For too long, the health concerns of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals were pushed to the side. LGBT individuals have faced limited access to health care and insurance. They have been less likely to get the preventive care they need to stay healthy, have higher rates of tobacco use, and are often at increased risk for mental health illness.
Like all Americans, LGBT Americans deserve respectful health care providers and the security of accessible, affordable health care that meets their needs. The Department of Health and Human Services is committed to making this a reality for the LGBT community.
What HHS is doing
- HHS LGBT Issues Coordinating Committee: formed to ensure effective coordination of LGBT-related policies and the consideration of LGBT concerns throughout HHS' activities.
- Past and present recommendations the Secretary has given to the President to promote GLBT health and wellness.
- What we’ve done to improve the lives of GLBT Americans.
LGBT and the Affordable Care Act
The Affordable Care Act provides new health benefits to millions of Americans, including LGBT individuals. The Affordable Care Act helps LGBT Americans in some major ways.
- Promoting wellness by requiring insurers to cover preventive care at no additional cost. LGBT adults and teens can get screened by a health professional for HIV and depression without paying co-pays or deductibles.
- Helping more LGBT Americans find affordable health insurance. Starting October 1, 2013, all Americans without insurance and those looking for better options will have a new place to shop for plans, the Health Insurance Marketplace, and may qualify for lower costs on monthly premiums.
- Learn more about how the Affordable Care Act is improving the health of LGBT Americans at HeathCare.gov.
Information from Across the Department
- CDC: LGBT Health information
- MedLinePlus: information on special health concerns
- Office of Minority Health: Plan for Health Data Collection on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Populations
- June 2013 LGBT Pride Month Statement by Secretary Kathleen Sebelius
- March 2013 LGBT Health Awareness Week Statement by Secretary Kathleen Sebelius
- HHS announces first guidance implementing Supreme Court’s decision on the Defense of Marriage Act
- Obamacare and LGBT Health, an AIDS.gov Blog post by Secretary Sebelius cross-posted from The Huffington Post