Making Files Accessible
The checklists are the official HHS Accessibility checklists. Anytime you are preparing an electronic document that will be posted online or distributed via e-mail, whether it’s an internal document or an external document, you need to follow the Section 508 guidelines. These checklists will help you ensure compliance with the guidelines. The below checklists are provisional, and we invite feedback on them as we move toward final versions that reflect the update Section 508 standards.
- Checklist: PDF File 508 Checklist (WCAG 2.0 Refresh)
- Common Accessibility Issues to Avoid:
- Step by Step: Create accessible PDFs in Microsoft Word
- Video: Eight Essentials for Creating Accessible PDF Documents
- Video: Ensuring your PDF is Accessible
- Editing PDF Table and Figure Tags
- Adding and Moving PDF Bookmarks
- Editing PDF Image Tags for Alternative Text
- Creating Accessible PDFs from Scanned Documents
More: PDF Resources from Adobe
- Checklist: General Office Guidance
- Checklist: Audio/Video 508 Checklist
- Checklist: Email 508 Checklist
If you need assistance with a program that is not on this page, contact us for more information.