Make sure the document is properly formatted (from Step 2):
- File names do not contain spaces or special characters.
- Document Properties are filled out;
- Hyperlinks and e-mail addresses all work.
Then check the following conditions:
A. All Edits must be accepted:
The icon for accepting edits is located on the reviewing tool bar (See Sec. 1-A), and is displayed as check mark on a page
Changes may be accepted by:
- Clicking on the Accept Change icon,
- Then selecting Accept All Changes in Document from the drop down menu.
B. Turn Track Changes Off:
Check to see if Track Changes is on or off. Track Changes is a toggle. If Track Changes is on (see example below), click the Track Changes Icon. The indicator for Track Changes is located in the “Status Bar” displayed at the bottom of the Word window.
Status Bar (at the bottom of your window) with Track Changes indicator turned on:
Status Bar with Track Changes indicator turned off:
If Track Changes is on (see above), click the Track Changes Icon.
The icon for Track Changes is located on the “Reviewing” tool bar and is displayed with a star on the corner of a document and pen.
C. Remove All Comments:
Note: Always perform this step. Comments may be hidden.
To remove comments
- Click on the Reject Change/Delete Comment icon:
- Select Delete All Comments in Document from the drop down:
D. All Formatting Marks Turned Off
All formatting marks must be turned off.
- Click on Tools;
- Then Options to display the Option Menus.
Formatting marks may be found under the View tab. Ensure that all formatting marks are turned off.
E. The Print Layout View
The Print Layout View must be turned on.
- From the Standard tool bar located at the top of the Word window,
- Select View;
- Then Print Layout.
Before you start conversion, be sure to SAVE your work!
F. Adobe Conversion Settings in Word
Adobe Acrobat Professional version 8.0 must be installed on your computer in order to properly convert Word documents to PDF format. If you have version 7.0, you must upgrade to version 8.0. Acrobat no long supports Adobe version 7.0. If Adobe Acrobat Professional has been installed, “Adobe PDF” will appear in the top menu bar.
Before creating a PDF document, check the conversion settings for Adobe PDF in Microsoft Word.
- Click on Adobe PDF located in the top menu bar, usually at the end of the bar;
- Then select Change Conversion Settings.
The following window will appear:
Be sure the following items are checked:
- View Adobe PDF result
- Prompt for Adobe PDF file name
- Convert Document Information
- Add Bookmarks to Adobe PDF
- Add Links to Adobe PDF
- Enable Accessibility and Reflow with Tagged Adobe PDF
Click OK to return to the document.
Once the settings have been changed and saved they will be applied to future conversions to PDF.
To convert the document Click on “Adobe PDF” and select “Convert to Adobe PDF” from the menu.
You will be prompted to Save the document; once the conversion is complete, the PDF will be opened in Adobe.
You now have a document that has been converted to PDF. The document now needs to be checked for 508 compliance in Acrobat Adobe Professional 8.0.