Providing Enhanced Resources
Cultural Competency Training
Agencies within HHS have undertaken a number of training efforts:
- HRSA continues to fund a National Training and Technical Assistance Cooperative Agreement with Fenway Community Health Center for the National LGBT Health Education Center. The National LGBT Health Education Center provides training and technical assistance on LGBT health needs and services to community health centers. All training and technical assistance focuses on system-wide change to improve access to high-quality, culturally responsive care for LGBT people.
For more information visit http://www.lgbthealtheducation.org/
- HRSA held trainings for the National Health Service Corps to provide an introduction to culturally competent care for LGBT patients and to focus on strategies to ensure better service to these populations.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and HRSA held a joint listening session to discuss LGBT cultural competency with health care providers. Participants heard from stakeholder organizations about:
- Training challenges for providers,
- Strategies that are needed to increase culturally competent care for LGBT patients,
- Advancing cultural competency through health professions trainings, and
- Using health professions grants to encourage inclusion of cultural competency materials.
- HHS encourages its employees to participate in LGBT cultural competency trainings. The sessions increase awareness and educate employees on sexual orientation and gender identity, and update employees about current sexual orientation and gender identity anti-discrimination requirements.
- The Administration for Community Living (ACL) and the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs (ASPA) collaborated on the development of an online training tool for staff of long-term care facilities. Entitled “Building Respect and Dignity for LGBT Older Americans in LTC,” content includes 6 modules totaling approximately 60 minutes, each with 5-6 knowledge check questions at the end.