Title X Supported Health Centers Provide Critical Preventive Care
Text version of image:
Visits to Title X supported centers in 2010 helped clients avoid myriad negative health outcomes:
In contraceptive care:
- 1.2 million unintended pregnancies were avoided.
- 586,000 unplanned births were avoided.
- 403,000 abortions were avoided.
- 87,000 preterm or low-birth-weight births were avoided.
In STI testing:
- 53,000 chlamydia infections were avoided.
- 8,800 gonorrhea infections were avoided.
- 250 HIV infections were avoided.
- 590 ectopic pregnancies were avoided.
- 1,160 infertility cases were avoided.
In Pap testing and HPV vaccination:
- 1,940 cervical cancer cases were avoided.
- 1,110 cervical cancer deaths were avoided.
This investment in 2010 also resulted in net government savings of $7 billion. Every dollar spent on publicly funded family planning services saves $7.09 in public expenditures.
Content last reviewed on August 31, 2016