Featured Priority: Vaccine Safety
To ensure the ongoing success of vaccines, it's critical to continuously assess and strengthen vaccine safety efforts. NVPO works with federal partners and non-federal stakeholders to support vaccine safety systems, surveillance, monitoring, and research.
Vaccine Safety in the United Sates: Background
- Ensure a robust vaccine safety scientific system that focuses on high priority areas
- Facilitate the timely integration of advances in manufacturing sciences and regulatory approaches relevant to manufacturing, inspection, and oversight to enhance product quality and ensure patient safety
- Support timely detection and verification of vaccine safety signals
To help meet this goal, the NVP has identified 8 objectives and 23 strategies. Read more about objectives and strategies for Goal 2.
Federal Efforts to Ensure Continued Support of Vaccine Safety
NVPO supports vaccines safety in a number of ways. For example, we:
- Offer funding opportunities
- Commission research and reviews of safety topics
- Coordinate the Vaccine Safety Scientific Agenda
- Lead the Immunization Safety Task Force
- Assist federal agencies with research efforts
- Work with international organizations to support vaccine safety around the world
Funding for Vaccine Safety Research
In 2015 and 2017, NVPO partnered on several research projects designed to support the U.S. vaccine safety system. This unique program is part of NVPO's efforts to maximize impact through collaboration.
Learn about past projects.
Vaccine Safety Scientific Agenda
The Vaccine Safety Scientific Agenda outlines the efforts of federal agencies on vaccine safety—and the scientific activities and interagency coordination that contribute to the safety system.
Immunization Safety Task Force
NVPO leads the Immunization Safety Task Force (ISTF), which provides guidance and coordination for all vaccine safety systems, activities, and research studies in the United States. The ISTF was created to ensure that all federal efforts related to immunization safety are coordinated—and to strengthen collaboration between government agencies working to increase immunization safety. Additionally, by engaging vaccine safety stakeholders, the ISTF supports vaccine safety monitoring research.
Resources on Vaccine Safety
To learn more about vaccine safety in the United States, check out these NVPO-supported publications:
- Kaiser Permanente Northern California Pregnancy Database: Description and Proof of Concept Study
You can also find more information in the following resources: