NVPO at 30
In 2017, the National Vaccine Program Office (NVPO) marked 30 years of providing strategic leadership to improve the vaccination system. NVPO coordinates and ensures collaboration of federal partners and external stakeholders from across the immunization enterprise around vaccines and immunization activity.
NVPO has grown to meet the policy and technology demands of an evolving immunization environment. Since its creation in 1987, the office has had a significant impact on disease prevention through vaccine and immunization policy in the United States and around the world. Notably, NVPO:
- Plays an essential role in ensuring collaboration among federal agencies and external stakeholders to carry out the goals of the National Vaccine Plan, our roadmap to an optimal vaccine and immunization system.
- Identifies and bridges gaps in federal vaccine and immunization activities, such as generating consensus on actions that can improve adult vaccination rates, and works with stakeholders to implement activities in an efficient, consistent, and timely manner.
- Develops strategic plans that reflect the current state of science, leverages opportunities in the vaccine and immunization enterprise, and identifies metrics for tracking progress toward goals.
- Staffs the National Vaccine Advisory Committee (NVAC) — which makes vaccine development, safety, communications, supply, and research recommendations to the Assistant Secretary for Health
- Conducts research that paves the way for new vaccine-related initiatives to meet the realities of a changing immunization landscape.
- Works with a variety of partners to improve the immunization landscape and regularly convenes and leads interagency working groups to tackle pressing and complex issues.
- Supports efforts to reduce vaccine preventable diseases.
NVPO at 30: Reflections
Through the years, NVPO has provided continuity and oversight to the National Vaccine Program. NVPO’s unique position in the immunization system allows the office to identify systems-level issues, which often evolve over time. The following quotes, which can be shared via digital media, exemplify the importance of NVPO’s role:
NVAC at 30
The National Vaccine Advisory Committee (NVAC) also celebrated 30 years of existence in 2017. Take a moment to learn more about NVAC’s work and key milestones over the past three decades.