HHS Innovation Day
9:00 am- 3:00 pm
Join us for HHS Innovation Day on May 15th at the Hubert H. Humphrey Building in Washington, D.C., where you’ll experience first-hand how new approaches and creative thinking can advance our work in government.
You’ll hear from stellar employees at HHS who are using entrepreneurial methods like design thinking and lean startup to improve how their office or agency delivers on the HHS mission. The day will also feature a panel on deploying creative thinking to improve work in government, and innovative speakers from government and the private sector.
9am – 12pm (In-person or watch the livestream)
• John Bardis, Assistant Secretary for Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
• Lightning presentations from the current HHS Ignite Accelerator teams (check their projects out below)
• Guest speaker Mickey McManus, MAYA Chairman and Principal. McManus is a pioneer in the field of collaborative innovation and human-centered design
1pm – 2pm (In-Person Only)
• Design thinking training session led by Dean Chang, Associate Vice President for Innovation & Entrepreneurship, University of Maryland
2pm – 3pm (In-Person Only)
• Panel discussion “Envisioning An Innovative HHS” featuring:
• Amy Wilson (Moderator), Presidential Innovation Fellow, General Services Administration
• Mitra Ahadpour, Director of the Division of Pharmacologic Therapies, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
• April Oh, Health Scientist at the National Cancer Institute
• Adam Wong, Senior Innovation Specialist at the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology
*We will be updating this agenda/webpage. Please check back for updates.*
The Ignite Accelerator is a 3 month internal innovation program that provides HHS staff a startup environment to test new ideas. The projects of the current round of Ignite teams are listed below. Please note that some of the particular project names may change as they’re still on-going efforts, but their subject areas will remain. Come out or tune-in on May 15th to find out the latest (webcast information will be coming shortly).