Starting on January 8, 2015, we’re launching our 8th round of HHS Innovates, the Secretary’s annual awards program that shines a spotlight on the creative approaches that HHS employees take to solve tough problems. Winners of the Innovates Award are personally recognized by HHS Senior Leadership, gaining exposure for their innovative work. Winners also receive up to $1,000 (HHS employees and Commissioned Corps); have the opportunity to participate in the Secretary’s Award Ceremony; and have their award acknowledged in their official employee personnel record. This round, we are also excited to announce a number of program enhancements that were made in an effort to inspire high-quality entries, tap solutions developed by employees from across the Department, and make this program as impactful as possible. Below you can find a summary of these enhancements, which are also described in full detail on the HHS Innovates webpage. The submission period for the HHS Innovates Awards is open from January 8 to February 27, 2015. To enter your submission, nominate the work of colleague, or learn more, visit the HHS Innovates webpage. To hear from past winners and learn more about the submission process, tune into our webinar on January 21st from 2-3pm ET. We look forward to hearing about your great work!
New Enhancements to the HHS Innovates Awards
Six New Submission Categories.
This round, HHS employees can submit their innovations and win prizes for innovative solutions in six high-impact categories six categories:
- Transforming Health
- Optimizing Human Services
- Creating Building Blocks for Success at Every Stage in Life
- Enhancing Operational Effectiveness
- Biggest Bang for our Buck
- Out-of-the-Box Solution
For full descriptions of these categories and examples, check out the Eligibility and How to Apply Tab on the HHS Innovates webpage.
Streamlined the Nomination Process.
- The submission form has been updated with improved questions and the opportunity to include collateral material such as video, images, or URLs.
- This round, you can nominate a colleague who you think is worthy of an HHS Innovates Award.
Improved the Award Selection Process.
- The top-scoring innovation in each category is an HHS Innovates Award winner and will be showcased across HHS.
- Employees will have the opportunity to select from among the category winners their favorite (aka “the Employee’s Pick”).
- The Secretary will also review the winning innovations and select her favorite(s) (aka “the Secretary’s Pick”).
Better Recognition for HHS Trailblazers.
- Each of the category winners will be eligible to win a cash prize (HHS Employees and Commissioned Corps only). Those finalists chosen as the Employee’s Pick and Secretary’s Pick will receive up to $1000.
- All other winners will receive $500 a person.
- All category winners will also receive a certificate signed by the Secretary and Deputy Secretary that will be placed in their employee performance file.
- We are also offering an alternate form of recognition for meritorious entries: written recognition from the Deputy Secretary.