Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Return to Search

Numbers at a Glance April 2012

This is HIPAA enforcement numbers at a glance for 2012


Issued by: Office for Civil Rights (OCR)

Issue Date: July 04, 1905

Numbers at a Glance

(As of April 30, 2012)

Topics on this page:

Pie Chart showing all complaints as of April 30, 2012. 6,499 (9%) remaining open complaints, 63,608 (91%) complaints resolved.

Status of All Complaints  
Complaints Remaining Open 6,499 9% of Total
Complaints Resolved 63,608 91% of Total
Total Complaints Received 70,107  

* Referrals to DOJ - 500

Back to Top

Pie chart showing total investigated resoluations as of April 30, 2012. 16,015 (66%) corrective action obtained; 8,310 (34%) no violation.

Total Investigated Resolutions    
Corrective Action Obtained (Change Achieved) 16,015 66% of Total
No Violation 8,310 34% of Total
Total Complaints Investigated 24,325  


Back to Top

Bar graph showing Investigated Resolutions. 2003 79 no violation; 260 corrective action; 339 total. 2004 359 no violation; 1,033 corrective action; 1,392 total. 2005 642 no violation; 1,161 corrective action; 1,803 total. 2006 895 no violation; 1,571 corrective action; 2,466 total. 2007 715 no violation; 1,484 corrective action, 2,199 total. 2008 1,163 no violation; 2,210 corrective action; 3,373 total. 2009 1,196 no violation, 2,140 corrective action, 3,336 total. 2010 1,526 no violation, 2,703 corrective action, 4,229 total, 2011 1,303 no violation, 2,595 corrective action, 3,898 total.

Back to Top

HHS is committed to making its websites and documents accessible to the widest possible audience, including individuals with disabilities. We are in the process of retroactively making some documents accessible. If you need assistance accessing an accessible version of this document, please reach out to the

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this database lack the force and effect of law, except as authorized by law (including Medicare Advantage Rate Announcements and Advance Notices) or as specifically incorporated into a contract. The Department may not cite, use, or rely on any guidance that is not posted on the guidance repository, except to establish historical facts.