Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Return to Search

How do I file a civil rights complaint?

This is guidance for filing a civil rights complaint.


Issued by: Office for Civil Rights (OCR)

Issue Date: July 07, 1905

How do I file a civil rights complaint?

If you believe you have been discriminated against because of:

  • race,
  • color,
  • national origin,
  • age,
  • sex,
  • disability, or
  • religion

by an HHS entity  or by a recipent of federal financial assistance such as:

  • state and local social and health services agencies,
  • hospitals,
  • clinics,
  • nursing homes,
  • insurers who are participating in Marketplaces and receiving premium tax credits, or
  • other entities receiving federal financial assistance from HHS providers

you or your representative may file a complaint with OCR. Discrimination complaints against a state or local health or social services agency on the basis of disability may also be filed with OCR.

Find out how to file a civil rights complaint.

HHS is committed to making its websites and documents accessible to the widest possible audience, including individuals with disabilities. We are in the process of retroactively making some documents accessible. If you need assistance accessing an accessible version of this document, please reach out to the

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this database lack the force and effect of law, except as authorized by law (including Medicare Advantage Rate Announcements and Advance Notices) or as specifically incorporated into a contract. The Department may not cite, use, or rely on any guidance that is not posted on the guidance repository, except to establish historical facts.