Case Example Health Plan Photocopier Breach
This page describes Affinity Health Plan's $1,215,780 payment to OCR to settle potential violations of the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules stemming from a failure to erase PHI from hard drives in photocopiers returned to a leasing agent.
Issued by: Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
Issue Date: July 05, 1905
HHS Settles with Health Plan in Photocopier Breach Case
Under a settlement with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Affinity Health Plan, Inc. will settle potential violations of the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules for $1,215,780. OCR’s investigation indicated that Affinity impermissibly disclosed the protected health information of up to 344,579 individuals when it returned multiple photocopiers to a leasing agent without erasing the data contained on the copier hard drives. In addition, the investigation revealed that Affinity failed to incorporate the electronic protected health information stored in copier’s hard drives in its analysis of risks and vulnerabilities as required by the Security Rule, and failed to implement policies and procedures when returning the hard drives to its leasing agents.
- Read the Resolution Agreement
- For Information on OCR’s Enforcement Activities
- Read the Press Release
- To File a Health Information Privacy or Security Complaint
- View the Federal Trade Commission’s guidance on safeguarding sensitive data stored in the hard drives of digital copiers
- The National Institute of Standards and Technology has issued guidance on assessing the security of multipurpose office machines
- OCR offers free training on compliance with the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules for continuing medical education credit
HHS is committed to making its websites and documents accessible to the widest possible audience, including individuals with disabilities. We are in the process of retroactively making some documents accessible. If you need assistance accessing an accessible version of this document, please reach out to the Section 508 Help Desk.
DISCLAIMER: The contents of this database lack the force and effect of law, except as authorized by law (including Medicare Advantage Rate Announcements and Advance Notices) or as specifically incorporated into a contract. The Department may not cite, use, or rely on any guidance that is not posted on the guidance repository, except to establish historical facts.