Our Mission & Vision
The President Council's mission is to increase sports participation among youth of all backgrounds and abilities and to promote healthy and active lifestyles for all Americans.
Through partnerships with the public, private, and non-profit sectors, the President's Council promotes programs and initiatives that motivate people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities to lead active, healthy lives.
The Council plays a key role in the development of the administration's programmatic priorities, outreach, and awareness efforts to improve the health and quality of life for all Americans. Among the Council's charges are to:
- Expand and encourage youth sports participation, and to promote the overall physical fitness, health, and nutrition of all Americans;
- Develop a national strategy to expand children's participation in youth sports, encourage regular physical activity, including active play, and promote good nutrition for all Americans;
- Focus on children and youth in communities with below-average sports participation and communities with limited access to athletic facilities or recreational areas;
- Increase awareness of the benefits of participation in sports and regular physical activity, as well as the importance of good nutrition;
- Promote private and public sector strategies to increase participation in sports, encourage regular physical activity, and improve nutrition;
- Develop metrics that gauge youth sports participation and physical activity to inform efforts that will improve participation in sports and regular physical activity among young Americans; and,
- Establish a national and local strategy to recruit volunteers who will encourage and support youth participation in sports and regular physical activity, through coaching, mentoring, teaching, or administering athletic and nutritional programs.
All Americans lead healthy, active lives.