New Mexico Public Education Department
Settings: High schools and Community Service Centers, Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Prevention and Services, and Public Awareness and Education
New Mexico Public Education Department (NMPED) will build on the success of the existing service delivery model for teen families, Graduation Reality and Dual-role Skills (GRADS): Making Connections for Success, by expanding state-level partnerships; providing a comprehensive array of services to support the academic, economic, social, and health needs of expectant and parenting teens and their children; and replicating the model in other communities. The expanded program is referred to as GRADS+.
NMPED will leverage existing resources invested in the GRADS Program, school-based health centers, young father programs, early childhood programs, workforce partnerships, and domestic violence programs to enhance and expand the current GRADS program.
NMPED will partner with GRADS, the New Mexico Department of Health, the New Mexico Alliance for School Based Health Care, the New Mexico Teen Pregnancy Coalition , the New Mexico Attorney General's Office, New Mexico Forum for Youth in Community, Envision New Mexico and other key stakeholders in order to:
- Strengthen the current school-based case management model that integrates services and collaboration between GRADS+ and local school and community partners;
- Develop new GRADS+ components to promote young father involvement, increase college and career readiness, and support early childhood and infant mental health;
- Implement a replicable Quality Improvement protocol to improve access and delivery of integrated services to teen families in school-based health centers;
- Continue implementation of the state level teen dating violence program and provide training to develop a coordinated community response to dating, domestic and sexual violence in targeted communities; and
- Implement a leadership institute and local public awareness campaigns to address the needs of expectant and parenting teens and methods for promoting healthy relationships.