President Biden’s Executive Order (EO) 14031 authorized the creation of the President's Advisory Commission on Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders (Commission) within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The Commission, co-chaired by HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra and the U.S. Trade Representative Ambassador Katherine Tai, advises the President on ways the public, private and non-profit sectors can work together to advance equity, justice, and opportunity for Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AA and NHPI) communities.
The 25-member Commission consists of leaders appointed by the President who reflect the rich diversity of AA and NHPI communities throughout the United States. The Commission works in close coordination with the Deputy Assistant to the President and Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Senior Liaison to advise the President on:
- The development, monitoring, and coordination of executive branch efforts to advance equity, justice, and opportunity for AA and NHPI communities in the United States, including efforts to close gaps in health, socioeconomic, employment, and educational outcomes;
- Policies to address and end anti-Asian bias, xenophobia, racism, and nativism, and opportunities for the executive branch to advance inclusion, belonging, and public awareness of the diversity and accomplishments of AA and NHPI people, cultures, and histories;
- Policies, programs, and initiatives to prevent, report, respond to, and track anti-Asian hate crimes and hate incidents;
- Ways in which the Federal Government can build on the capacity and contributions of AA and NHPI communities through equitable Federal funding, grantmaking, and employment opportunities;
- Policies and practices to improve research and equitable data disaggregation regarding AA and NHPI communities;
- Policies and practices to improve language access services to ensure AA and NHPI communities can access Federal programs and services; and
- Strategies to increase public- and private-sector collaboration, and community involvement in improving the safety and socioeconomic, health, educational, occupational, and environmental well-being of AA and NHPI communities.
Learn more about the Commission's responsibilities in Executive Order (EO) 14031.