Hiring Reform Initiative
Welcome to the HHS Hiring Reform website, your source for hiring reform information, news, and resources. This site is intended for HHS human resources professionals, hiring managers, and employees. If you are a job seeker, you can find more information about federal careers at HHS Careers or USAJOBS.
President Obama's Memorandum dated May 11, 2010, Improving the Federal Recruitment and Hiring Process is Phase I of the Administration's comprehensive initiative to address major, long-standing impediments to recruiting and hiring the best and the brightest into the Federal civilian workforce. The President's initiative provides for a vigorous Government wide recruiting effort, makes it easier for Americans to apply for Federal jobs, raises the bar on candidate quality, and provides a commonsense approach to the overall hiring process.
The requirements of the initiative include:
- Elimination of essay questions (KSAs)
- Easier application process using only a resume and cover letter
- Applicant notification at key stages of the application process [79KB]
- More flexibility in hiring the best candidate (Category Rating)
- Increased management accountability and involvement
- Improved quality and speed of hiring
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit the OPM Hiring Reform website for more information on the Hiring Reform Initiative.