404 Error Pages
[x] Required Pages & Elements
[x] Scripts & Codes
HHS must use a user-friendly error message for when the server can not find what was requested.
A 404 error page is returned for several reasons:
- A internal broken link
- A mistyped URL or an out of date bookmark/favorite
- A search engine link that is out of date
A user-friendly Web site will give the user a helping hand. The message should be a simple statement that the requested URL could not be found on your site, e.g., “Did you mean to type ‘suggestion here’?”
Requirements (content & style):
The error page text must provide the following:
- User-friendly content: We are sorry but the page you are requesting could not be found.
- Suggested alternatives: Did you mean to type “suggestion here”?
- A link to the site search.
- Links to the site’s main pages.
Checklist:Provide a user-friendly message for a 404 error page.