Section 508: Why comply?
- 6.4 million people in the United States have a visual disability.
- 10.5 million people in United States population have a hearing disability.
- 20.9 million people in United States population have a ambulatory disability.
- 14.8 million people in United States population have a cognitive disability.
That means that, on average, 13.2 million people in the United States have at least one disability that Section 508 is meant to help with
Erickson, W., Lee, C., & von Schrader, S. (2012). 2010 Disability Status Report: United
States. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Employment and Disability Institute(EDI).
- Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (29 U.S.C. 794d), as amended by the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (P.L. 105-220), August 7, 1998.
“Americans with disabilities are Americans first and foremost, and like all Americans are entitled to not only full participation in our society, but also full opportunity in our society.”