International Travel Checklist
Selecting Your Location and Booking Reservations
- The State Department has restricted travel to certain countries or areas. When travel has been restricted to a particular country or area, the Office of Global Health Affairs (OGHA) will alert the HHS Travel Office and the destination will be marked restricted in GovTrip . This will prevent travel to that location. If you choose one of these restricted locations in GovTrip you will receive a pop-up message informing you of the restriction and you will be prevented from creating your travel order. To view the list of restricted locations, click on the U.S. Department of State Current Travel Warnings.
- If the destination is not restricted, you will be able to create your travel order and book ALL travel reservations in GovTrip. For complex international, traveling to remote locations, please use the request assistance box in GovTrip and sign the document. Include the dates and times you wish to travel and Omega will assist you in booking your reservations.
- If you book your own international flights, please verify that all flights in the itinerary are US Flagship (domestic carriers). International travelers are required to adhere to the Fly America Act and Open Skies Agreement . If a US carrier is not available, please contact your Federal Agency Travel Administrator (FATA) to request a waiver. Waivers are rarely issued and every possible attempt should be made to adhere to policy.
Creating Your NFT Form
- The Notification of Foreign Travel (NFT) form is no longer handled outside of GovTrip by OGHA. As you create your foreign travel authorization in GovTrip, the NFT form is populated with your travel information. You will be required to review the NFT form and add any missing information before you can sign your document. If you attempt to sign your travel authorization without completing the NFT form, GovTrip will provide you with a list of incomplete fields and return you to the NFT form. If you are unable to complete the form, you can save the form as a draft and complete the form when you have the needed information. You can access the form by clicking on the Additional Options Tab and selecting the NFT form. Once the form is complete, you will be able to sign and submit your authorization.
- Your document will be routed to individuals responsible for foreign security briefings, NFT pre-approvals and NFT Final Approvals. These individuals will be responsible for assisting you in obtaining security briefings, passports, visas, and country clearances required by Chapter 6 of the HHS Travel Policy, which regulates HHS international travel.
- If you need more information or assistance, please contact your Federal Agency Travel Administrator (FATA).
E-Country Clearance (ECC)
- A country clearance for official government travel must be obtained from the US Department of State. To request a country clearance, log on to https://ecc.state.gov/security/EccLogin.aspx.
- To obtain a country clearance for a traveler on official Government business and traveling with an official (maroon) government passport, please follow the instructions found on the ECC website.
- You cannot travel or apply the NFT Final Approval Stamp in GovTrip until this clearance has been approved and a confirmation e-mail has been sent to the traveler from the State Department.
- A traveler must have an official or a diplomatic passport when conduct official Government business in a foreign country. Be sure your official or diplomatic passport is valid for at least three months from your departure date. If you do not have an official passport, contact your FATA or your international travel department for assistance.
- Contact your personal physician to determine if any additional vaccinations are needed. Regulations require yellow fever vaccination when traveling to certain countries in sub-Saharan Africa and tropical South America. The government of Saudi Arabia requires Meningococcal vaccination when traveling during the Hajj.
Be Sure You:
- Reconfirm your flights 72 hours before departure with the airline.
- Complete your security briefing and the HHS Foreign Travel Security Briefing.
- Prepare your GovTrip voucher within 5 days of your return
- Add a Trip Report to your voucher
Content last reviewed on June 16, 2014