Skip Navigation

E-Gov Travel


HHS travel policies for employees (not including commissioned officers of the Commissioned Corps, U.S. Public Health Service (Corps), unless specified otherwise at the beginning of the section) are governed by the Federal Travel Regulations (FTR), which is issued by the General Services Administration (GSA.) The FTR implements statutory requirements and Executive Branch policies for travel performed or conducted by Federal civilian employees and others authorized to travel at Government expense. The FTR is located on GSA’s website (see the link below.)

The HHS Travel Manual, issued by the Office of the ASA, PSC, AOS, DTS, HHS Travel Office, is the official documentation of Department-wide supplemental policy and guidance to the FTR for HHS civilian employees.

Many provisions of the FTR require agencies to develop specific internal policies, procedures, and systems to administer the regulations. The HHS Travel Manual provides supplemental policy and guidance on key FTR provisions, where a Department-wide, standard supplemental policy is deemed appropriate. OPDIV/STAFFDIVs may then augment the FTR and/or Department level policy with their own supplemental policy guidance, which must be consistent with the FTR and the Department’s policy requirements. Note that OPDIVs/STAFFDIVs may choose to implement certain policies in a more restrictive manner.

2014 Mileage Reimbursement Rates

The Acting Administrator of the General Services Administration has approved CY 2014 privately owned vehicle mileage reimbursement rates.  The following reimbursement rates are effective January 1, 2014 – December 31, 2014:

  • privately owned automobile:  $0.56 per mile
  • privately owned motorcycle: $0.53 per mile
  • privately owned airplane: $1.31 per mile
  • government-owned automobile: $0.235 per mile
  • relocation mileage: $0.235 (Per IRS regulation, rate does not include vehicle depreciation and cost of insurance)

GovTrip has been updated with these new mileage rates. 

Please contact your Federal Agency Travel Administrator if you have any questions or would like additional information.