Let’s Move Faith and Communities
As trusted community leaders, faith-based and neighborhood organizations are key partners in solving the problems that lead to childhood obesity and addressing related issues of hunger. Please visit www.letsmove.gov/communities for more information on Let’s Move Faith and Communities.
The National Institutes of Health's We Can! program
Join Let’s Move Faith and Communities for a special series of webinar trainings that equip health leaders to run the National Institutes of Health’s (NIH’s) We Can! program in their community. We Can! is a science-based national education program that provides parents, caregivers and communities with tools and strategies to help families improve food choices, increase physical activity and reduce screen time.
We Can! offers two core curricula:
- The Energize Our Families: Parent Program is a multiple-session curriculum designed to provide parents and caregivers with the knowledge and skills they need, along with practical tools, to help families maintain a healthy weight. Specific topics include shopping for healthy food on a budget, controlling portion sizes, increasing physical activity in youth and reducing family screen time.
- Media-Smart Youth®: Eat, Think and Be Active! is an after-school program designed to help young people ages 11 to 13 understand the connections between media and health and to help youth build media analysis and production skills. The program uses nutrition and physical activity examples to help youth think critically about how media influences the choices they make.
Energize Our Families: Parent Program webinar training
Media-Smart Youth webinar training
We Can! Q&A Café
This webinar has been planned specifically for health leaders who have previously participated in a two-hour webinar training on either the “Energize Our Families: Parent Program” or "Media-Smart Youth."
Let's Move Faith & Communities and We Can! want to answer your questions about implementing Media-Smart Youth and the Parent Program in your community! We’ll also have community leaders share their experiences planning and implementing We Can! in their communities. Whether your efforts are underway or you're looking for help to get started, we hope you'll update us on your work and let us know how we can support your efforts.
- September 20, 2012: PALA+ and the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition! Please see the following materials that were presented on the webinar, as well as the helpful websites mentioned by our presenters:
- PALA+ and the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition
- PALA+ in Cub Scout Pack 914 Presentation
- The President’s Challenge program website
- ScoutStrong PALA Challenge website
- President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition website
- November 29, 2012: Make Your Community a Source of Health and Wellness: Sue Heitmuller, Manager of Health Ministry and Community Benefits for Adventist HealthCare, and other community leaders offered thoughts on the important role of health in faith settings and provided an overview on how to develop health leadership in your community.
- January 31, 2013: Transform Your Food Pantry into a Source of Health and Wellness: Mary Haftmann-Dailer and Cindy Hammer from Catholic Charities West Virginia shared their innovative WellnessWorks program, a comprehensive community-based approach to addressing the health and nutritional needs of their food pantry consumers.
Communities on the Move Video Challenge
Thanks to everyone who participated in the Communities on the Move Video Challenge! The Video Challenge encouraged faith-based and neighborhood organizations to create one-to-three minute videos highlighting the work they are doing to make their congregations or communities places of wellness. Check out the winning videos and see how these communities are helping kids live healthy!
Looking for ideas to get moving? Check out Communities on the Move to see what other faith-based and neighborhood organizations are doing across the country to improve the health of their communities! For more community success stories from Let's Move Faith and Communities participants, visit www.letsmove.gov/success-stories.
The Let’s Move Faith and Communitiestoolkit and wellness leadership bulletin insert are designed to help faith-based and neighborhood organizations engage their communities and promote healthy choices and access to nutritious food.
Join the Movement!
Sign up and join our community of supporters. You’ll be connected to ideas and resources for your wellness ministry, and we’ll share and lift up best practices. We want to hear from you!