The Affordable Care Act and Your Community
The Open Enrollment Period for 2015 coverage is now over. You can still get coverage two ways:
- If you have certain life changes – like having a baby, getting married, or losing health coverage—you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. If you do, you can enroll in a Marketplace plan outside the annual Open Enrollment period. Learn more about Special Enrollment Periods
- You may be able to enroll in coverage through Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). There’s no limited enrollment period for these programs, which provide free or low-cost health coverage to millions of Americans. You can apply any time. If you qualify you can enroll immediately, any time of year. Learn how to apply for Medicaid and CHIP
Members of federally recognized tribes and Alaska Native shareholders can enroll in Marketplace coverage any time of year. There’s no limited enrollment period for members of these groups, and they can change plans as often as once a month.
If none of these options works for you, you can enroll in 2016 health coverage during the next Open Enrollment period. The Open Enrollment period for 2016 is November 1, 2015 to January 31, 2016 with coverage starting as early as January 1, 2016.
From Coverage to Care Health Insurance Education Tools
For people who are newly insured and looking for more information about what to do now that they have health insurance, a website has been created called From Coverage to Care. This tool highlights the eight steps that the newly insured person can take to live a long and healthy life. The website includes a Roadmap to Better Care and a Healthier You in eight languages, videos, a Discussion Guide for Community Partners, and an Enrollment Toolkit. The eight steps are available in a one-page roadmap format and are also broken down in greater detail in English and Spanish.
Order Coverage to Care materials like DVDs, posters, booklets and other materials for free from the website https://marketplace.cms.gov/outreach-and-education/order-coverage-to-care-materials.html.
Join us in sharing the good news about the Health Insurance Marketplace on social media. “Like” us on Facebook and share our posts. Re-tweet our info-graphics and other informative posts on Twitter. And share our YouTube videos that explain the health care law in easy-to-understand terms. Finally, if you have enrolled in the Health Insurance Marketplace and it has benefited you, please share your story on our Story Banking Website.
We look forward to partnering with you in sharing information and resources about the health care law!
The Health Care Law 101 Webinar Schedule
The HHS Partnership Center hosts a series of interactive webinars for you to learn more about what to do now that you have coverage and how to enroll in health insurance if you are eligible for a Special Enrollment Period. We also are hosting webinars on Best Practices in Affordable Care Act Outreach and Enrollment.
Health Care Law Toolkit for Faith and Community-based Organizations
We are updating our toolkits for the Special Enrollment Period and 2016 Open Enrollment Period. Below are toolkits used for the 2015 Open Enrollment Periods. The toolkit will help faith and community leaders learn and educate others about the health care law. These materials can be used as bulletin inserts, at enrollment events and for other education and outreach efforts.
- ACA Fact Sheet for Faith and Community Leaders
- How to Access Health Insurance and Services in your Community
- Four Ways to Get Marketplace Coverage
- Five Steps to Staying Covered Through The Marketplace
- Four-Step Guide to Planning a Health Care Enrollment Event
- ACA Talking Points for Faith and Community-based Organizations
- Call to Action
- What You Can Do To Help People Who Are Uninsured
- The Affordable Care Act Made Simple
- Quality, Affordable Health Care for our Neighbors
- How the Health Care Law reflects our Shared Values and Common Beliefs
Download a condensed version of this health care law toolkit.
Find more ACA outreach and educational materials.
To order posters, applications and other materials on the health care law from http://productordering.cms.hhs.gov
Looking for applications for health insurance in many languages? Get them through this page in CMS Marketplace Website
Faith Weekend of Action/Second Sunday Toolkit
The HHS Partnership Center and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services created the Faith Weekend of Action/Second Sunday Toolkit for faith and community organizations.
Links for More Information
www.HealthCare.gov - Information on the Health Insurance Marketplace; the website to enroll in health insurance.
www.CuidadoDeSalud.gov - Spanish language website providing information on the Health Insurance Marketplace; the website to enroll in health insurance.
http://marketplace.cms.gov - Resources on the Health Insurance Marketplace.
www.hhs.gov/healthcare - Social media on the health care law, including blogs, tweets and stories of people who now have health insurance.
www.cciio.cms.gov - Public policy and program information on the health care law.
www.cms.gov - Public policy and program information on the health care law.
www.HRSA.gov - Information on how to locate a community health center.
www.Medicaid.gov - Information on the Medicaid program that assists people with low incomes.
www.Medicare.gov - Information on the Medicare program that assists seniors and people with disabilities.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Affordable Care Act: